Sunday, March 1, 2015

Cabin Fever


Until a couple of days ago I was confined to the house for over a week because of bad weather, and I discovered something about myself—enforced idleness makes me go bat shit. Three cold weather fronts bringing snow and ice swept through our region. The last one dumped five inches of snow on us. That’s not a lot by New England or Midwestern standards, but around here it is sufficient to bring civilization to an end. The problem is road ice, roads that twist and turn and southern drivers who have no idea how to handle a skid. It doesn’t help the situation that a certain percentage of people in these parts drive on bald tires. It wouldn’t be Appalachia otherwise.

It was like being on house arrest. I could not go anywhere because my light pickup truck cannot make it up the dirt road leading from my property when it is covered in snow and ice. I could not work outside because was too cold. My only option was to stay in the cabin for over a week, and I soon ran out of things to do. I wrote all I could write, read until my eyes bled, watched as much TV as I could take, and took enough naps to last until September. I was so fucking bored that I cannot even think of a suitable superlative to tell you how fucking bored I was other than to say I was F-U-C-K-I-N-G bored.

Let me give you an example. I do publicity for an organization by the name of Feed Fannin that raises money and vegetables to feed the hungry in the community. To keep myself occupied I wrote all the press releases needed for a major fundraising event that Feed Fannin is holding at the end of March. I was so bored I rewrote them and then rewrote them and then rewrote them again. I don’t think there has been anything written in the history of man that has received such attention. I spent enough time rewriting those press releases that I could have chiseled them in stone. After I ran out of legitimate things to write about, I started to make stuff up. I’ve got press releases with headlines like “George Washington Was a Feed Fannin Volunteer,” “Feed Fannin Grows Plant That Cures Restless Leg Syndrome” and “Sex with Vegetables.”

It did not help that Meredith sailed through the experience without any problem. While I was going crazy with cabin fever, she calmly and quietly waited the weather out. Maybe there is a fundamental difference between men and women. Maybe it’s related to that whole Gaea, Earth Mother, fecund giver of life, slow cycle of the seasons, Princess Winter Summer Spring Fall thing that the ancients ascribed to the female deity. I can hear her now: “The weather will change, dear. It’s just a matter of time.” That’s a great attitude when your actuarial life expectancy is 10 years longer than mine, but I’m reaching the age when the statistical probabilities of major body parts failing are not in my favor. I could stroke out tomorrow. I need to get out of this house now! (At least that was what I was screaming in my head.)

I can’t imagine how people on the frontier in the old days handled being snowed in before there were computers, satellite TV, DVDs, and library books. Imagine being isolated in a log cabin when the only entertainment is a worn copy of the family Bible that you’ve read all the way through 18 times. In some of the old photos the people have this vacant look in their eyes. It’s because they are catatonic from having nothing to do over a harsh winter. It’s the look you get when your main intellectual enjoyment is whittling a stick into wood shavings. I think it’s related to brain death.

I’m sorry if this post is not all that scintillating. The point of this blog is to write about my experiences moving from crowded Pinellas County to rural North Georgia. Before I can write about an experience, I have to have one. I don’t think staring out a window and wishing the ice would melt constitutes an experience, at least not one that would be of interest to anyone.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating. I don’t think you can truly appreciate spring until you live in a place that has a true winter. While winter has its own certain stark beauty, it wears on you after a while, and you begin to yearn for the return of green leaves and milder temperatures. Hopefully we have seen the last of the bad weather in North Georgia. It’s time to start getting ready for my spring vegetable garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment