Saturday, September 14, 2013

Time To Start

I am living proof that sometimes serendipity is better than brilliance. A couple of days ago two friends visited us, and we took them on a tour of Fannin County. Taking a tour of Fannin County is not like sightseeing in New York or Paris (though sometimes the locals in Fannin County can be just as unintelligible as in New York or Paris). As far as I can tell, there are four places to go in Fannin County: McCaysville, Blue Ridge, Lake Blue Ridge, and Mercier’s Orchards. All of them are worth a visit, but the real surprise was downtown Blue Ridge.

In the twenty plus years that I have been coming to Fannin County on vacations, my visits to Blue Ridge consisted of going to Home Depot and the supermarket, both of which are located away from the downtown. This time I went to downtown Blue Ridge, and I discovered that it is crowded with interesting places to shop, eat, and drink. It is not very large, but it has an old timey look and feel that reminds me of a Colorado ski town. Many of the places have porches and outdoor patios where you sit and eat or drink, and there are benches and rocking chairs in front of many of the businesses where you can take a load off.  

My friends were impressed that I choose to retire to a rural area that has an attraction like downtown Blue Ridge. I had to confess to them that I no idea what downtown Blue Ridge was like when I moved here. I came to Fannin County because it’s rural. The fact that downtown Blue Ridge is a pretty neat place is pure serendipity. What is it they say about blind hogs and acorns?

On another note, I have been exploring the back roads in my travels to and from Home Depot for supplies. On a couple of recent mornings, as I was driving on a winding country lane with the windows open and the local country station on the radio, I found myself grinning from ear to ear and humming John Denver songs. I’d like to take some photos and post them on this blog, but the roads are narrow and have no shoulders, so it’s difficult to find a place to pull over. If you don’t get completely off the road, you risk being taken out by an F250 pickup coming around the corner.

Meredith and I are beginning to bring some order to the house and workshop, and it’s time for me to start doing the things I came here to do. Many have asked me what I am going to do in Georgia. Finding things to do is not going to be a problem. 
 
Among the first priorities is figuring out where my garden will be and getting it in shape for planting in spring. I have two choices for the location of the garden. One is near the house, and the other is in the lower field. The lower field has the better soil, but that would mean a 200 yard walk down a hill and back up a hill every time I wanted to work in the garden. I’m not going to be running down for a couple of tomatoes if I put it there. I would prefer having the garden next to the house, but the soil is harder and drier and has more clay. 
 
Once I decide on a location for the garden, I need to fence it. I’m thinking the garden plot should be at least a 1,000 square feet. If I put a fence post every eight feet, that’s well over 60 fence posts to set. In addition to having a lot of clay, the soil is rocky. That’s great for stone wall building, but not so good for digging. The fence must be tall enough to keep the deer out and secure enough to keep out smaller critters. I know we have wild hogs, squirrels, raccoons, possums, weasels, and chipmunks around here, and maybe even a Bigfoot or two. It will be like Alcatraz when I’m finished. The bottom line is that the garden fence will be quite an undertaking. 
 
I need to lay out my garden beds and prepare the soil this fall and winter. Preparing the soil means breaking it up and tilling in organic matter, so I’m going to have to buy a plow for my tractor and a sturdy rototiller. There is no way in hell I’m going to dig up the garden by hand.
 
I’m need to get a lot of organic matter to till into the soil. Some of this will be grass I cut from the fields. After I cut it, I have to gather it and place it on the garden beds. That’s a lot of raking and hauling. I’ll probably try to grow a cover crop to turn under in the spring. Finally, I need to find a place to get large quantities of manure to till into the soil. There are some horse farms in the area, and there has to be someone who raises a lot of cows. I find this ironic. I spent my entire career trying to fend off the bullshit; now I’m eagerly seeking it.
 
Other things on my to do list:

1.  Get a pole barn built.

2.  Expand the side porch. There is a side door that enters the kitchen. You have to walk up stairs to a landing to get to it. I want to expand the landing into a porch large enough for Meredith to place a gas grill and a chair or two. This will be a large project for me. With my vast carpentry experience, I figure it will take me about as long as it took to build the pyramids.

3.  Write that novel I’ve always wanted to write. That means I’m going to have to be disciplined and set aside several hours a day to write.

4.  Get involved in the community. This will take some consideration. I could join a civic club, like the Jaycees, Rotary, or Elks, but I’m not much for organizations. I may try to join the county library support group since I intend on visiting the library often. I am going to sign up for the Georgia Master Gardner course that starts in a couple of months. It would be a good way to meet people and learn something useful at the same time. My fear is that the people who join gardening courses are either blue-haired old ladies or sensitive, save the planet, tree hugger types. While there is nothing wrong with either group, they’re not the type of people I tend to hang out with. I have a greater affinity to a ruder and cruder class of mankind. Rather than discuss the benefits of juicing or high colonics over herbal tea, I prefer sucking down a few beers and making fun of fat tourists. But, hey, now that I’m retired I may need to get civilized.
 
There are other tasks and chores to attend to, but this list should give you the idea that I will not lack for things to do here in my new rural home.

5 comments:

  1. The ex used to have an attachment to the tractor called a "rotovator," I believe it was. Did a beautiful job, much better than manhandling a rototiller.

    Hey, any way you can get Meredith to chime in on your blog? Just a few sentences, Meredith! I feel like I know you, even though we've never met.

    Love the pic of Meredith driving the tractor!

    And how is cat adjusting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can buy a rototiller attachment for the tractor, but the smallest I've found is 48" wide which is wide for a garden row, but I'll keep looking.

      That's a good idea to have Meredith write a post every now and then about what she experienced with the move. I'll see what she says.

      The cat surprised me. It has not freaked out any more that normal. It has even gone outside a couple of times. Not whbat I expected at all. I will write about the cat one of these days.

      The weather has been awesome this week. It's been in the 60's at night and upper 70's during the day. Everyone says it will be a hard winter as pfredicted by the wooley caterpillars.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so envy that weather. Read your comment to Tim, and we both remember from our Northern days how wooly caterpillars predicted the winter, along with the Farmer's Almanac.

    The rotovator attachment was used only for spring/fall plowing, not for between times. The between times between rows was done by yours truly, using a hoe. That experience is what put me over the edge and squarely into the Square Foot Gardening method. Although I must say between using the hoe and taking a shotgun to the noisy, pooping greckles helped me work out a lot of aggression after working in court all day! And today I could use a hoe and a shotgun. 'Nuf said about that.

    So sorry I missed the third comment, removed by author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The removed comment was the same as my reply. I did not realize that one "replied" to comments rather than made another comment. I'm still learning how to operate this blog. For some reason when I posted new photos they appeared giant sized!

      I need to pick up a Farmer's Almanac just to see how accurate it is. I really don't know what form my garden will ultimately take. I would like to do traditional mounded rows or beds with ample space in between, but given the soil, I may have to go to raised beds or square foot gardening. Then there is the issue about how much corn, sorghum, and grain I want to grow and where. I signed up for the Georgia Master Gardner course to see if I can learn anything. I also need to think about fruit and nut trees and berry bushes. Meredith and I have been busy just trying to get organized. I figure there will be plenty of cold winter days to plan the garden.

      Delete